Have you ever planned an event? Its more of a bitch than the mother of a hundred and one dalmatians. There are so many things to remember and chances are you’ll forget something important and it’ll hit you smack in the face, right there on the day, Bang! But just remember you won’t go wrong if you bear in mind the seven P’s, Proper Preparation and Planning, Prevent Piss Poor Performance.
Things To Remember
- What is the Purpose of your event and why are holding it?
- Venue- You’ll need to scope out where you’re going to have the event and then book it, preferably with a great amount of lead time. You should consider such things as access, parking, suitability for your event, and other things like if the place has a bar (and what their prices are) and a myriad of other considerations
- Decorations- Whether its banners a corporate conference, or balloons, confetti and centrepieces for a wedding, you’ll have to give thought to what decorations your event will need and supply thusly.
- Who will you invite?- You’ll need to give sufficient notice and make sure that you haven’t invited someone inappropriate, that one uncle who gets really racist after 1 drink, or the grandmother who goes on a 20 minuet homophobic rant if a man is wearing a pink shirt are key amongst the people that should not be on any guest lists, but conversely it might not be the best idea to invite a member of the royal family to your local rugby club’s stripper night.
- And once you’ve got the people coming you may have to think where you’ll put them. Unless a royal is present in the Town, I am currently only outranked by 3 people (the current chair of the council, The High Sheriff and the Lord Lieutenant) so knowing how important people are is always a good thing, and why when planning a wedding, you’ll need to be on top of the various family feuds that are many, protracted, varied and longstanding (this is why assigned seating is dangerous, and you should opt for a buffet)
- Entertainment: What will you provide to keep your guests entertained? Will there be a band? A DJ? A Karaoke Machine?
- Food: This is a nightmare, firstly decided whose going to do it, if its you, have yourself sectioned, it’ll save time later. As you have to assess menus, vegetarian options, vegan options, desserts, starters, and please tell me what the hell do you feed to someone who can’t eat gluten? Seriously get a caterer it’ll save you so much stress.
- Cost- Money makes the world go round, and it can also throw some pretty lavish parties, but plan a budget, and then throw it out the window, because chances are you’ll go over it massively.
Hope this helps.