Since I’ve been left in charge of organising my wedding, I have been looking at ideas for wedding decorations, and the idea that infuriates me most, are centrepieces. Whilst they often look nice I don’t really want to be spending a great deal of money on what is essentially table dressing, I mean runners and tablecloths are going to cost enough without adding some massive floral monstrosity into the budget.
And then it hit me, after looking through the photo’s of my Aunts wedding many centrepieces these days are simple affairs such as pebbles in a fish bowl. So thats where my idea has stemmed, but also incorporates my love of nerdy stuff and Jessica’s love of miniatures. So came the idea of some themed terrarium’s.
Here are some early ideas.
I’ve had a lot of formal things to go to over the last few weeks and and it seems to me that no one does black tie anymore, its all lounge suits and regular ties. Black tie is a dying thing. But if you ever thought of bringing it back here are few things that you should remember
- Black tie means black (with one or two exceptions). Black is elegant and chic and on most (not all) people is pretty slimming and whilst there has been a fashion for navy blue lately this really doesn’t work well in daylight, or environments where there is going to be a lot of light
- The Bow Tie and Lapel material should always match (as should a cummerbund). The only exception to this rule is if you are going for a velvet bow tie (which you should only really consider if you’re wearing a velvet jacket).
- Cummerbund vs Waistcoat: This debate has raged for decades, and while either is fine you should bear in mind a few things, waistcoats are hot, but cummerbunds are a little impractical if you have a little bit (or a lot of) a stomach.
- If your shirt has buttons on the cuff it is not a dress shirt, dress shirts require cufflinks and the buttons are either hidden or are replaced with studs, the point of black tie is to hide all practical points of clothing, buttons are either missing or covered.
- Wing collars, fashions change so don’t feel that you have to have a wing collar, but they do look good.
- Shoes should be black leather, whether they are patent leather or not is a personal choice, but it does add to look if they are.
I hope this has helped in some way or another, and you rock up to your next formal dressed to kill